E Pluribus Unum

E Pluribus Unum, aka George, is finished and just had its portrait taken. A portrait of the portraits. It finished at 63.5"x63.5". Originally the top was 68"x68", but the quilting sucked the quilt in a bit. Each George head was hand appliqued and has quilted feathered wreaths around each of them. I used Superior Threads' Mono-Poly thread on the top and their Bottom Line thread in the bobbin, which worked great.

My brother-in-law said, "This is more than the sum of the Georges. When you look at one you see the father of our country. When you look at all of them he looks like a lunatic."

To figure out the color placement, first I divided the squares into somewhat-like color piles on the floor.

Then I just played with them on the wall. I took a photo every five minutes while designing and moving the squares around. But I did not photograph during the time I spent just looking at the quilt pondering what to do next. That would have been very boring. You can see the process here via You Tube E Pluribus Unum.