Tidal Lace Beach Quilt

On this schools-are-off-again snow-day in Massachusetts, I'm happy to share a summery beach quilt with you. Let's just pretend that all of that white stuff is sand, ok? (Let's also pretend that I used my real camera, not my camera phone. It was cold. I wasn't thinking clearly.)

In 2013 I had the privilege of being a guest judge for the fabric design competition Repeat(ed). One of the competitors, Kim Andersson of iadorepattern.com, designed a line for the competition, which you can see click here. After the competition, Kim shopped the line around and it was picked up by Windham Fabrics. The line debuted at the Fall 2014 Quilt Market as Tidal Lace

Kim and I were able to meet at Festival, where we had dinner and more than a few laughs. She is as lovely as her fabrics. Kim had asked me to create something for the Windham Fabrics catalog to promote Tidal Lace last summerbut I wasn't able to at that time. I knew I would have some time this winter, so I offered to see what I could come up with using her fabrics just as the line is being shipped to quilt shops.

Windham sent me a box of fabrics - all of the Tidal Lace line, and a fat bunch of fat quarters. I don't know the title of the fat quarter line, but they are gorgeous shot cottons. (If anyone knows the name or has a link, please let me know.)The shot cottons are perfect complements to the prints.

windhamfabrics

I was so excited to play with the fabrics that I waited *maybe* 24 hours to dig in and start cutting. First I cut 7.5" squares out of all of the fabrics. I sliced those squares on the diagonal to create triangles. Then I matched up one Tidal Lace triangle with one shot cotton triangle and sewed their long sides together into squares. Those squares were then trimmed to 6.5". Once I had a big pile of squares, I spread them out on the floor to arrange them into some sort of order. 

beachquiltfloor

There was enough fabric left over to piece the backing. Look how great all of those blues look together. Especially on the snow. I mean *sand*.

The hardest decision was picking the quilting thread color. I auditioned many blues, but my gut kept going back to an orangey-salmon. And I am glad I did, since that is the color I ended up using for the binding. The finished quilt is about 48"x56".

Thanks to Kim and Windham for letting me play along. It was great fun. And now I am anxiously awaiting Kim's next fabric line (no pressure though!).